Guest blogging is a great way to get your content in front of new readers, grow your audience, and build relationships with other bloggers. When done correctly, guest blogging can also help improve your website’s SEO. This article will cover what guest blogging is, how to find guest posting sites, how to screen blogs that accept guest posts, and how to pitch a guest post in three easy steps. We will also discuss some guest blogging platforms and software options and answer some frequently asked questions about guest blogging.
What Is Guest Posting?
Let me tell you a simple story. There was a time I used to sell dresses on Facebook. Of course, I had just started the business, so I had few or no regular customers. Sincerely speaking, it wasn’t easy starting from scratch. Although I sold quality dresses, I sold less because of lack of popularity.
However, I had to make use of a different technique. I looked out for shops that also sold dresses. I placed my stickers on the packaging of the dresses. I then worked in partnership with those shops to display my products in their shops. That way, I sold more. I gained more popularity since some customers were redirected to my Facebook shop, and I started making sales.
This is basically what guest posting looks like. In essence, guest posting means publishing blog posts on other websites by an author who runs a different blog. For example, if Mr. A runs a business blog and publishes some articles on Mr. B’s blog, that is guest posting. While “guest posting” is the act and process, “guest post” is the particular article (publication) that is being published.
You may want to ask – “why do you need to publish on another person’s blog when you have yours?” Well, the benefits of guest posting include the following, among other advantages:
- It helps to make your brand known to a different audience;
- It helps to drive new and original traffic to your website;
- It boosts the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) of your website.
How To Find Guest Posting Sites
It is one thing to write blog posts; it is another thing to find appropriate websites for guest posting sites. Aside from having an excellent guest post to publish, it is essential to publish on guest blogging sites to help you achieve your aim. It would be best if you also found blogs that accept guest posts since it’s not all websites that do. And, of course, you cannot force them to publish your posts. It is theirs, and they have freedom over it.
There are many ways to find guest posting sites. Try these options:
Use keywords and search terms to find guest blogging sites:
Of course, you know that the keyword is the essential word your potential viewers are most likely searching for.
- For example, if you are looking for websites in the marketing niche, you could search on Google for “content marketing,” “online marketing,” “digital marketing,” “internet marketing,” etc. To do this, you could search in the following format = keyword + one of the below search terms:
- For example, keyword + “write for us.”
- Keyword + “contribute a guest post.
- Keyword + “become a guest blogger.”
- Keyword + “guest post” or “guest blog.”
- Keyword + “submit an article”
Use list made by other sites:
Just as I said earlier, not all sites will accept blog posting. And not all sites that accept are good for you. So, this is a time-consuming and tedious task to find guest blogging sites using keywords that might work for you.
You can search on Google for a list of blogs on your niche already made by other websites. For example, try “blogs that accept guest posts” on google; you would get a list based on whatever you want.
Check guest posting sites used by your competitors:
Like you, many other marketers also use the list of guest blogging sites made by other sites. As a result, those sites are in demand. So, this is hard to find an appropriate option per your need and budget for publishing a guest post on those sites.
Another approach is following competitors. For example, if you look at your competitors’ marketing footprint, you could also find appropriate guest posting blogs.
You could get to know about such blogs when you follow a lot of guest blogging sites, especially those in your niche. Otherwise, you may use tools like Ahrefs for competitor research and find such guest blogging sites.
How To Screen Blogs That Accept Guest Posts
Your aim should not just be to post on any blog but to post on blogs to earn you traffic. So, it would help if you screened out the blogs you have enlisted. Therefore, while doing your form of audition on the guest blogging service, you should consider the following:
- Ensure that the websites have unique and valuable traffic. You don’t want to keep wasting time posting without getting results.
- Get rid of websites that are not in your niche. For example, you don’t want to display shoes in a shop known for electronics.
- Check if the publisher asks for fees to publish your blog and if that amount is within your budget.
- Read the detailed content standard that the publisher has set as a requirement to post your blog. Then, you need to pitch content following that standard.
- Make sure the audience of the website is active to follow your posts. Of course, selling food at the mortuary will only earn you a waste of time. Except zombies want to eat fresh foods.
- Select the top sites based on the above criteria. Your best blogs deserve to be placed on the best platforms.
How To Pitch A Guest Post in Three Easy Steps
As much as guest blogging sites would appreciate a guest post, it doesn’t mean they should stock up their platforms with low-quality content. This is simply the need for them also to screen out your proposals.
A while ago, you were busy screening out some websites that are not relevant to you. That is also how these platforms will screen out the posts that may not add value to their quality. So, let me take you through this as an essential process in this guest blogging service.
1. Establish a relationship:
Flashback to my story about selling dresses, I didn’t just rush as people to help me sell. I had first to make them my friends and then pitch. The same logic applies here. Build a relationship with them; a friendly relationship message may be enough.
Something like this – “Hello Frank, greetings from an admirer and follower of your platform. I have since followed your platform and found the content fascinating. You sincerely have a good deal on there. Recently, I started my platform in a similar niche to yours. I believe I may have some quality contents to post on your platform. I understand the standard of your contents, and I do not offer any less quality….”
2. Make your value known:
Remember, these editors have many professional writers offering to make use of the same guest blogging service, just like you. So, you need to prove how much value you may bring to their website. Note that they didn’t develop the platform to help you – writers, but mainly to help their readers.
So, do not bore them with your stories. Instead, show them your writings published on other popular sites. Those works will help them to judge your quality of work.
3. Research well:
Don’t make general statements about the platform. You cannot underestimate the essence of research in this instance. Instead, show them that you are a regular user of their website and know their readers’ tastes.
4. Be creative with subject lines:
Subject lines are just as important as headlines are. I can’t count the number of times headlines have attracted me to read some new stories.
Likewise, the subject lines are the tools you could use to attract editors to your pitch. Of course, many writers would have also pitched just like you, but the subject line makes your pitch stand out and exceptional.
5. Write once but edit more than once:
If you were an editor, would you accept guest posts from pitches that are filled with grammatical errors? Of course, NO. So, ensure your guest post is perfect in grammar, readability, and context. Making a great impression with your posts will make you achieve your eventual aim.
6. The shorter, the better:
Your pitches should not be too long. Editors have a lot of angles to check; they have little or no time to keep reading one pitch. Consider the following important for your pitches:
- Write a brief introduction of yourself with links to your article published on other sites;
- Explain why your content is meant for the kind of audience they have;
- Give a list of your topic ideas;
- A quick summary of what readers will get from the contents
7. Make use of pictures and visuals:
The images will build the first impression that makes you stand out from the crowd. It suggests that you are serious about what you are doing.
Research has established that visuals can generate about 94% of views more than texts will. So, visuals are very much essential and well understood.
Guest Blogging Platforms
There are several ways to find guest blogging platforms – which we shared earlier. To help you jump start, here are the top sites popular as Guest Blogging Platforms.
- A List Apart
- List Verse
- The Huffington Post
Try these top ten guest blogging sites carefully. It is not a number game; focus on the quality of your content.
Guest Blogging Software
There are many software programs available to help streamline the guest blogging process. Some of these programs can help with research, while others can help with writing and submitting guest posts.
We recommend SEMrush for analysis and finding guest posting sites. You can hire experienced freelancers from UpWork to write the posts. Finally, we recommend Gsuite or Office 365 to send your pitch.
Guest blogging is a two-way street. It’s a way for bloggers to share their stories and ideas with an audience that might be interested in what they have to say, and it’s a way for guest bloggers to get their name out there and attract new readers to their blogs.
When pitching a guest post, be sure to include the following:
– The topic of the guest post
– Why you’re the perfect person to write about this topic
– How the guest post will benefit the reader
– Any relevant links or examples that illustrate your points
There are a few ways to find guest bloggers:
– Google “guest blogger” + your topic – This will bring up a list of potential guest bloggers who have written about your topic in the past.
– Check out guest blogging directories – There are a few directories that list blogs that accept guest posts, such as MyBlogGuest and GuestPost Tracker.
– Ask your friends and colleagues – If you know someone who writes about a similar topic to what you’re blogging about, they might be open to writing a guest post for your blog.
Guest blogging is a great way to get your name out there, attract new readers, and build relationships with other bloggers. Just be sure to follow the guidelines of each blog you’re guest posting on, and always pitch high-quality content that will benefit the reader. Happy guest blogging!