Cover letter is all about you. It is like a leaflet describing you and your suitability to the specific job. But there are many people who don’t know how to write a cover letter.
A survey in the US conducted on the employers found these:
- 42.9% of employers wanted their candidates to submit a cover letter
- 29.8% of them felt that cover letters were not important
- 27.4% of the employers had no preference
Most employers treat Cover letter as important proof of Interpersonal Communication Skills.
Table of Contents
What You Should Add In Cover Letter?
Simply, you should add whatever the employer want to have in your cover letter. In general, these are the key areas sought in cover letter.
- Skills which are relevant to the job description
- Written communication skill
- How you would add value to the organization
- Your career interest, personal vision
What you will include in your cover letter?
You must attractively arrange information in your CV. In same way, your cover letter should answer why the company should hire you.
A good cover letter encourages recruiter to give your CV the deserved attention. So, it should answer why the company should hire you.
How to Write a Cover Letter
Step by step guideline is given below on how to design your cover letter.
Address to right person
If you can get the responsible person’s name, then address, “Dear Mr./Ms X” otherwise address “Dear Sir/Madam”.
– State the job you are applying for
– Mention where you found its advertisement
Example: “I was very interested to read your advertisement for Assistant Manager in [insert newspaper name] as it precisely fits my career plans.”
Describe yourself in second paragraph
– Show reasons behind your interest in this type of job
– Explain how the company could be your right option
– Justify why you are suitable for this job
Example: “I first became interested in [insert job type] during my student life. Since then, discussion with my careers adviser and my own belief I have prepared myself suitable for this type of job. The nature of my degree course has prepared me for this position”.
Relate your strength and skills
– Mention your strengths which might add value to the company
– Relate your skills to the competencies required in the job
Close with care
– Reiterate your interest and note that you would be right fit
– State that you would surely look for an interview
If you start with “Dear Mr X” then end with “Yours sincerely”. If you start with ”Dear Sir or Madam” then end with “Yours faithfully”. At last sign off.
In general, employers spend around half a minute to review a job application. So, you have that 30 seconds to grab the interview call using your cover letter.
When you are going to start your job search, you should start with your cover letter. Make several template for different industries. It will help you to add in required information within few minutes and submit a job application.
To survive in this volatile corporate world, prepare yourself for multiple career.