“I have better things to do instead of Facebook, so I need to learn how to live without social media.”
The above statement may lead you to think of what to do instead of Facebook and other sites. Thankfully, this is the best post to learn about how to live without social media.
Social Media Pros and Cons
What to do instead of Facebook and other similar platforms? That thought could come to your mind when you know the demerits of social media. The information contained in this section can help you arrive at the point where you’d tell yourself this: I have better things to do instead of Facebook.
- It can be used for effective communication by people who have access to the internet and compatible devices.
- It can be used for business purposes. For example, social media marketing.
- It’s a fast and easy way to communicate and spread information.
- It can become addictive.
- It takes a lot of precious time that could have been used for more important activities.
- It can cause anxiety, unhappiness, depression, and general displeasure with life.
Social Media Facts and Statistics
In thinking of what to do instead of Facebook or how to live without social media, you should know some facts and figures. View them in the following list:
- There are more than 3.8 billion social media users in the world out of the population of 7.6 billion.
- The traffic on Facebook is highest at midday and during the middle of the week.
- Almost 75% of people revealed that they engage with online social platforms for almost the whole day.
- The average individual uses about 2 and a half hours daily on online social platforms.
- The average social media user possesses 8 profiles/accounts.
The last three stats above show that social media would take a lot of people’s time. It could be a serious case of addiction for many individuals who aren’t using the sites for business/work purposes.
This is why it’s important to know what to do instead of Facebook and other platforms. Sometimes, you’d just have to say to yourself: I have better things to do instead of Facebook.
How to Live without Social Media
How to live without social media? Hmmm… Is that an impossible mission? You’ll find out in this section…
We can get very attached to our favorite social platforms—checking them several times during the day. This may be normal for some individuals. It could be because of boredom or other reasons like not having any idea about things to do other than Facebook.
Engaging with social media is an understandable activity for those who run businesses on related sites. You could have a job description that requires you to be “online” most of the time. For example; affiliate marketers, social media managers, content creators, and so on.
You’ll need to break free from spending too much time on social media if you’re not in the category of the aforementioned people. Say this to yourself: I have better things to do instead of Facebook and other social platforms!
Knowing what to do instead of Facebook or what to replace social media with can lead to a positive change in your life. However, you also need tips on things to do without social media at least for short periods during the day. See the pieces of advice on how to live without social media below.
- Don’t keep your phone near your bed. This will make it hard to reach for whenever you wake up in the middle of the night or immediately after a good night’s sleep.
- Our second point on how to live without social media is to keep your device out of sight whenever you’re busy, at work, or in a class.
- Set periods of the day when you won’t touch your phone or PC no matter what. This requires determination and discipline.
- Don’t be registered on too many sites. Delete as many profiles/accounts as you can.
- Our last point on how to live without social media is to go through a period of digital detox where you stay away from anything internet-related (fully or partially). For example, camping without your smartphone, PC, or any other digital device for a time frame.
Things to Do instead of Social Media
Here, we’ll discuss 30 things to do besides social media. This is where you’ll find things to do other than Facebook. Anybody can find at least one idea of what to replace social media with here regardless of their interests.
In explaining the things to do instead of social media, we’ll focus on the good sides of each idea and why every one of them is better than utilizing social media. These points will also help you in formulating a strategy on how to live without social media.
1. Check Your To-Do List
This is our first idea on the list of what to do instead of Facebook and other sites because your to-do list will help you remember important activities you’ve planned for.
2. Engage in a Beauty Routine or Have a Home Spa Experience
Things to do other than Facebook? Why not try a home relaxation experience or a beauty regimen that will help you look and feel good?
3. Read or Write Something/Use Your Journal/Research
Reading or writing—which one will it be? The use of a bullet journal or BuJo will prove to be effective in organizing your life. You can also do reading and writing when researching.
4. Go on a Trip or Tour
5. Do Community Service or Give to Charity
You can help others and make the world a better place by giving to the less privileged or lending a helping hand to community work/projects.
6. Spend Time with Family, Friends, and/or Pets
This is better than spending time with strangers online. The people that are close or related to you are more important in life.
7. Make New Friends/Go out on a Date
You can meet new people or go out on a romantic date as one of the things to do instead of being on your phone. This has the same significance as point 6.
8. Prepare a Meal
Cooking or baking can come to mind. You can do so to consume or sell what you made as part of the things to do without social media.
9. Acquire a New Skill, Engage in Lifelong Learning, or Take an Online Course
These three things will be of benefit to you more than spending screen time trying to catch up with the latest trends on social sites.
10. Learn a Language/Computer Language
You can learn a language or programming language as part of your skill acquisition quest. They can be beneficial to you personally or professionally.
11. Work or Engage in Business Activities
Earning money is indisputably one of the important things to do instead of being on your phone all day doing nothing serious.
12. Go to a Concert or any other Outdoor Show
Another one among the things to do other than Facebook? Enjoying a concert featuring your favorite music artist or any other type of show. You get to have more unique and memorable experiences.
13. Physically Attend a Religious Program or Take Part in a Group Activity
Your spiritual growth and spending time with a group of people that share similar interests can facilitate a stronger connection when done physically.
14. Go for a Walk or Drive
These are beneficial to your well-being. You can clear your head with such activities.
15. Go Hunting, Boating, Swimming, Biking, Hiking, Camping, Geocaching, etc.
It’s always a great idea to try special experiences like these as part of the things to do without social media. Fun memories ahead!
16. Write Computer Codes or Develop a Website/an App
17. Do DIY Stuff
Do-it-yourself home repairs and maintenance save you money. You won’t have to spend money to hire someone for the job.
18. Talk to Someone
Why not have a face-to-face conversation with someone in close proximity? It’s a better communication experience than chatting in some cases. For example; confiding in someone about a personal matter.
19. Eat/Drink Something or Go to a Fine Dining Restaurant
Social media can take your attention so much that you may forget (or not want) to eat at the right time. This is one of the very important things to do instead of being on your phone.
Another one of the things to do besides social media? Organize, declutter, clean, arrange, re-arrange, and so on. Things in/on your home, workplace, devices, or elsewhere will be less complicated.
21. Take a Nap or Sleep
Sleeping is better than whiling away precious time on social platforms because it improves your well-being.
22. Meditate or Engaging in other Religious Practices
These are more activities that can improve your well-being, especially spiritually.
23. Relax Outside Your Home
This has the same significance as point 21. A great idea for things to do instead of being on your phone.
24. Engage in Creative Stuff
Expressing your creativity should be one of the top things to do other than Facebook. You’ll be able to become better at what you do and maybe make a living from it.
25. Take Part in Sports or Play Games
It’s all about having fun. A kind that you may not be able to get from social media.
Do you have a talent or skill? Why not use the time to develop it?!
27. Engage in Gardening or Farming
Tilling the soil and taking care of crops/animals can be one of your chosen things to do other than Facebook. There are personal and possibly monetary gains to be enjoyed.
28. Take a Look at Your Financials
Personal and business financials need all the time you can allocate. There are financial ideas to be thought of, calculations to be made, amounts to be recorded, bills to be settled, etc.
29. Exercise or Undergo a Workout Routine
Physical exertion with goals and objectives… One of the very rewarding things to do without social media. For example; muscle building, increasing stamina/strength, etc.
30. Go Shopping
This is one of the things to do without social media that will help you clear your head like walking and driving. You’ll also get to purchase your needs and wants, of course.
Watch this YouTube video to learn more about what to do instead of Facebook and how to live without social media: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3a3Nv2aQqyo
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
The answers to the frequently asked questions below will help you in thinking of what to do instead of Facebook and how to live without social media.
What Can You Do on a Phone without Social Media?
Asking about things to do without social media is a common question that shouldn’t be hard to figure out. There are a great number of things to do besides social media as discussed under the subheading, titled “Things to Do instead of Social Media”. It shouldn’t be hard to think of ideas when the scope is limited to your phone.
You can have a phone call with a family member or friends. You can use other beneficial apps. For example; games, photo editors, email platforms, camera apps, and so on. The list is endless for what to replace social media with.
Can I Be Happier without Social Media?
It’s the digital age where online communication has a high significance in several parts of the world—so it may be hard to do without keeping up with online social trends, forums, and chats. Stay away for a time frame if that’s what will make you happy. You can also reduce the time to a reasonable extent.
It might be that you need to engage in other things to do instead of social media just to have a better quality of life. Spending more physical time with loved ones such as friends and family can make you happier.
How Can I Entertain Myself without Social Media?
You can take whatever idea you can from the subheading, titled “Things to Do Instead of Social Media”.
What Can I Do Instead of Social Media?
What to do instead of Facebook and other platforms? The answer here is the same as with question 3.
How Can I Stop Being Bored without Social Media?
The answer here is the same as the one for question 3 because it’s also about entertaining yourself.
Now you can say this in a different context: I have better things to do instead of Facebook. The social media pros, cons, facts, figures, and FAQs treated in this post should give you a better understanding of why you need to know what to replace social media with.
You can focus on more important things in your life now that you have more knowledge of what to do instead of Facebook and other online social platforms. Remember that it’s not only about things to do instead of social media but also about things to do instead of being on your phone—including what to replace social media with on your phone.